Tablet market has expanded to a huge level in recent years. From the very accessible models and to the high end ones , all manufacturers have begun or are beginning to devote a large part of their production to this particular segment.
Still – how to choose a tablet according to your budget and the need to use it in a certain area? There are hundreds of models with various and numerous features.
You can use these guidelines as general advice :
– As Internet connectivity we have two types of tablets : tablets having Wi -Fi and tablets having Wi- Fi and a 3G/4G connection. The first ones connect only to wireless networks so we are limited to areas where we have such a connection while tablets with 3G / 4G connection can receive a mobile card data and thus we have access to the Internet as long as we got sufficient credit and we have network coverage 3G .
– Screen size really matters. Think of what activity you use it frequently, a 10.1 screen one is very good for media but somewhat difficult to transport, while a 7-inch one is easy to keep in a bag even though the small screen is not really ok to run a movie for example.
– Test if a screen brightness and contrast to if for instance you want it for out-door use (for trips or in the parks ) . Most tablets usually have a lower brightness and might be a little difficult to use in such spaces .
– Choose a tablet with enough RAM. For complex apps or to have more apps running simultaneously you need more RAM ( 1GB or if your budget allows it choose one with 2GB of RAM). If you only need to access some websites or for reading emails then perhaps most tablets have enough memory for these activities .
– Check the autonomy also , there are tablets that can be used somewhere in the 6-8 hours continuously , while others should be charged after 2-3 hours of use.
– The internal memory must be at least 8 GB of storage space in order to have some storage space to keep personal files ( keep in mind that the operating system takes up to 3 GB of total internal memory so also keep in mind this aspect) .
– If you use Skype or any other application for video calling check front camera quality if the tablet has it . The same if you’ll use your tablet to take pictures , see how the main camera performs . It’s known that tablets have no efficient cameras so shoot a few frames to get an idea of their quality .
– Often there is a tendency to buy a cheap tablet for children under the pretext of ” it’s just for games I do not need it for more.” You should know that (as the laptops / PC’s) games and educational applications for children require the most resources from a tablet.
So if kids want to play on the tablet make sure that the tablet has a good processor and good memory and a more than capable graphic chipset to perform to their demands.
– Pay attention to available accessories , you may need to have to connect a special keyboard if we can’t manage with the touchscreen , or we may need a HDMI output for running some media files on your TV screen .
– If you need some applications ( Office , etc. ) check whether there are on it or a compatible application that will run on the tablet ‘ s operating system that you want to buy (eg Ipage replaces Word on iPad, or Polaris Office is a substitute for Microsoft Office on Android)
What kind of operating systems run on tablets ?
Currently we have well known iPads running iOS , and tablets running on Android , and of course the new emerging tablets having Windows 8.
About iPads we can say that are running the most stable operating system the iOS which has reached its 7th version .
Every application is carefully analyzed before arriving on tablets , and therefore any application runs fluent on an iPad , very few errors surface and the operating system is very reliable.
Mainly this was a incredibly strong point of this tablet : running precise and without any errors of any application and high reliability of Apple products.
Probably you’ll say that their price is pretty steep , but it’s worth it .Even the service part is exceptional , usually tablets with problems are not repaired but replaced. Yes you heard right , in most cases if your iPad has a fault , then you will get a new one instead. On AppStore we have hundreds of thousands of free or paid applications from absolutely every field : from learning a language to Office type apps , or design in Autocad . About the paid apps :do not worry , applications do not cost very much and most do not exceed a few bucks .
As cons of Apple tablets we mention:
1.We can’t expand the internal memory with a card. Apple tablets come in the 16/32/64 and 128 GB versions and this memory can not be expanded. So buy carefully .
2. The price is too high relative to our income but as we said you choose a high quality product .
3 . Accessories somewhat more expensive
Android tablets are perhaps even more popular. Here almost all brands from Samsung to Asus and Acer have many types and versions of tablets running the Android operating system .
Android is an operating system more open than iOS and is therefore preferred by many users. Google Play store is extremely complex , we have tens of thousands of applications covering every niche from games to educational and business applications or media.
Read also how to choose a tablet for kids – here.
Still each manufacturer uses a customized version of Android so be careful to test any tablet you want to buy. For the same reason some problems ( lag,freezing ) occur on Android tablets – sometimes we need to do a factory reset or to delete the problem apps.
As brands we can say that Samsung has very good models starting with iPad ‘s direct competition , namely Note 3 , and up to younger Tab 3 .
Same way Asus ,LG and Lenovo launched various models of tablets in the quality range .. You should read reviews and see the experiences of those who have already bought these tablets – is very important .
Not the least, but clearly the last to arrive on the market are tablets running Windows 8 operating system .
Generally we’re speaking of highly crafted tablets from various manufacturers ( Asus , Dell, Lenovo) and having very good performance oriented more on productivity . Even Microsoft has Surface tablets on sale in several versions .
These tablets are made from quality materials , with high resolution screen and lots of Microsoft software preinstalled .
It must be said that some of the tablets of this type come with Windows RT installed (which is a special version for tablets ) and most performant ones come with Windows 8 classic and enjoy all the benefits of this operating system .
The benefits of these tablets are among others: higher quality , the popular Office suite comes pre-installed, compatibility with any device running Windows 8, the stability of this operating system, and the other benefits of the Microsoft software which we became accustomed with those being now portable .
As cons of Windows 8 tablets we can say that :
– Cheaper versions come with a Intel Atom processor which has a low performance on high-demanding apps ( such as photo editors ,or programs like Google Earth ) , and even some applications might not work due to low resources . To take advantage of the power and productivity of Windows 8 tablets ,we need a better processor like : i3 series processor / i5 / or i7. Here ‘s the second minus because the price of a Windows tablet with a high-performance processor from the mentioned series has a very high price far exceeding the price of a ultrabook of the same performance .
– And last but not least another minus that hopefully will disappear soon on our list is the mobile application market for Windows tablets which is not so popular compared to Google Play or AppStore .
Though we find many applications , we have not found many of the known titles but hopefully application developers will use more of this operating system and help the growth of applications .
These would be the basic advices , of course there is much more to say and way more to test. However now you have the main data on the subject and you can go on searching for the perfect tablet .